My Mother’s Best Decision Was Getting Me into a Special Needs School in New York

From all the childhood stories that I have ever heard from my mother, this particular one stands to be one of my personal favorites.

Why?

Because it inspires me to stand up against all odds when things are looking down in life.

This is why I decided to share it with you all today.

I was a dyslexic child.



My mother, who wanted to teach me a few things before I joined school discovered my problem when she was trying to get me accustomed to the English alphabets.

She was very perturbed by the turn of events and starting losing hope for the bright future she had envisioned for me.

She always discussed her problems with my aunt, and this, being a major issue for her had to be talked about.

My aunt is one of the most well-informed and knowledgeable women I have known in my life.

She consoled my mother, citing examples of her neighbor’s child who had dyslexia.
The child, after joining a special needs school in NYC had been able to overcome his learning challenges and is now the topper in his class.

Like all mothers, my mother too was protective about me and saw a ray of hope with this discussion.

She searched for the leading special needs school in NYC and immediately got me enrolled in the one she deemed was best for me.

Apart from confidence building and the other creative exercises we did in school, the teachers at my special needs school advised my mother to take care of a few things at home to help in my learning.

They suggested my mother to ignore some of the errors I made while writing and pay more attention to getting the oral part correct first.

There were days when I clearly remember my mother and my aunt attending classes and therapy sessions with me, just to get a hang of the things that take place at the special needs school in NYC I was enrolled in.

Now that I am about to start practicing as a clinical psychologist, I would give full credit to my mother, my teachers at school and my aunt for believing in me.


Every time I feel bogged down about anything in life, I love having these sessions with my mom wherein she reassures me of my strength and capabilities through the story of how I conquered dyslexia.

Share:

0 comments